Born in November 1950, Shirish Beri graduated in architecture from School of Architecture (CEPT), Ahmedabad in Jan 1974. Instead of pursuing higher studies in the U.S he opted for living and working in the mountains near Kolhapur (with his father and brother's architectural firm in Kolhapur) from June 1974. He felt that after studying architecture for 6 years, it was necessary to uncondition oneself and unlearn rather than spend two years learning for masters degree abroad.
Ar. Shirish Beri's works, which tend to reflect his values and concerns in life have been bearing their distinct mark on modern Indian architecture since 1975. They strive to address his life concerns of man moving further away from nature, from his fellow human beings and from his own self.
Through his work, Shirish Beri probes the multisensory and the immeasurable dimension of space while trying to evoke a reflective pause amidst todays clutter and background noise. He feels that issues of sustainability can be aptly addressed only through the right attitudes and goals. His designs try to achieve an inherent sense of unity and harmony with various natural and man-made elements and forces.
He has designed a number of campuses for national & regional level institutions for research, rehabilitation, health care and education, along with various other types of buildings.
- Great Master's award for 26th JK AYA 2017. Only one architect from 11 countries is selected for this award in every two years. it is kind of the highest architectural award in India.
- 'Architecture+Design & CERA Awards' 2014 - "The hall of fame award". Only one Indian architect is selected / voted to receive this award.
- 8th International Design competition, Japan - 1996 his was the only Indian entry to bag one of the prizes awarded to outstanding works from the 1021 entries from over sixty countries.
- Arcasia gold medal 2009-2010 for the best designed public-institutional building in Asia.
- Arcasia gold medal 2017 for the best designed single family residence in Asia.
- Cityscape + Architectural review award 2006 at Dubai –in the first three from 260 worldwide entries
- Hindware Archidesign “Architect of the year award – 2006” from 270 Indian entries
- The J. K. Architect of the year - Commendation Award 1995 for residence design
- The international jury award at the “Ekotop film festival – 2007” in Europe for his documentary film “The Unfolding White” from over 200 sustainable development films from all over the world.
- Society Interiors & Durian's "outstanding contribution to architecture award 2011"
- Special mention A+D spectrum award’ 06.
- Two projects designed by him were nominated for the prestigious 2010 Aga Khan Award for Architecture.
- He was selected as one of India's top 10 architects for the 6th CW Architect & Builder awards 2011.
- Achievers in architecture & design award - Indian architectural & design festival 2011.
- "Vasundhara sanman 2015" at the Vasundhara International film festival (of films on environment) for his environmentally conscious work.
- "Grohe NDTV - Design & Architecture award 2015" - Jury commendation award for the environmental design category.
- A Fellow of the I.I.A. & I.I.I.D, he has been invited to chair and give talks, slide shows and conduct design workshops in various professional organizations, colleges of architecture and in national and international seminars. Amongst others, he was also invited to speak at Princeton University, U.S.A, Paris, Colombo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney, Tasmania, Taipei, Taichung, Guangzhou, Istanbul, Hanoi, Tehran, Estonia, Sweden, Norway & U.K. He has also acted as a jury member on important architectural competitions.
- His works have featured in various national & international publications on Modern Architecture, magazines and newspapers.
- His works have been exhibited at various exhibitions including the traveling Retrospective Exhibition on “50 Years of Indian Architecture & Planning” and Indian architect & builder's exhibition "Design directions" - 50 changing frames of contemporary Indian architecture.
- His work has been filmed for a special Television serial - Nature + by RA Vision, Delhi.
- Two very special extensive exhibitions of his work and poems called - " A search for wholeness " and “Urmi – the inspiration” have toured various cities in India and abroad.
- His most recently published book "Spaces inspired by nature" is being received very well.
Love of nature, solitude, meditation, philosophy, yoga, photography, all arts, writing poetry, painting, films, gardening, farming, deep ecology - with a live experiment of creating a balanced ecosystem at his farm . Widely travelled to over 25 countries and to remote corners of India.